Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Apple Watch - An interesting platform?

Apple Watch, another neat product out of the Apple factory in Cupertino.

This summer I got my Apple Watch. My intent was to use it for sports and recreational activity. So far I am still wearing my mechanical Swiss watch in professional life. - Why? - I did not find the day to day benefits yet.

Yes, the activity monitoring is interesting, and I keep on taking it as motivational tool for more activity in my daily life.
The tracking, heart beat monitoring, and even communication functionality is useful.
I regularly use this when going for a run, or a mountain bike ride.

But, do I need all the notifications and possibility in taking phone calls or viewing emails and messages on my watch during work?

As you can see, I have ambiguous feelings towards that device. I do not see it yet as my day to day companion. And I am wondering how this will develop.

The device itself is well built. The usual simplistic usability, minimum number of buttons, even navigating the touch screen is going well.
What I am not super comfortable with is the trigger for switching on of the display. Somehow is my wrist movement not reproducible enough so that reliability of switching on is random.

The sensors such as optics and ECG are interesting and I assume there would be more possibility to do with it.
The ECG is a nice feature but I don't see the real use of it. - And there I might not be alone. What does this help unless I am a chronic AFib patient? Hence, for me as an average user there is only the motivation of contributing ECG readings of a healthy individual to the data pool.
What I am wondering is, if there would not be ways to monitor pO2 in blood continuously. And why not body temperature?
I see it very interesting for research purpose to get a data pool of healthy individuals through such a controlled time series data acquisition device. This can help in several disease are research.
The approach is only limited by availability of reliable and robust non invasive sensors, and sensors that do not require an enduser intervention for measurement, such as the ECG.
And how about some blood pressure measurement?

Motivational notifications. This is definitely a way to drive behavioural change and prevention. As usual different people will exhibit different susceptibility to the approach and flavour of implementation.

In combination, given the app capabilities and available sensor measurements, the Apple Watch is an interesting platform for applications serving wellbeing needs. I am wondering what innovations we will see in the upcoming years in terms of sensors for more relevant monitoring of vitals and blood biomarkers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment